Sunday, April 11, 2010

JUST SAY 'NOT NOW'

Ever felt caught...ensnared...trapped? Have you ever said 'Yes' and within a minute of putting the phone down you wished you hadn't have felt so pressurised into making a decision?

Recently a phone saleswomen did just that to me...and I said Yes. The Carphone Warehouse lady was trying to get me to upgrade my iphone and she was so insistent that even I, usually so questioning and cautious, gave in!! However the phone did not arrive on the day they promised and I cancelled after 4 lengthy calls to customer services, a day of re-arranged appointments in order to be there for the door, a 25 pound taxi bill and quantifiable frustration...

So Carphone Warehouse became Nophone Warehouse...

Note to self...always say "Let me think about it and I will call you back" rather than YES to a persistent seller! Also what a comment on our fast paced NOW culture...I do not need to do things NOW!! Some things can wait...I guess wisdom shows us what things can wait and what things can't!!

1 comment:

Crone and Bear It said...

Hi - I have the perfect solution I came up with years ago and it always works for me -- a way of saying no without feeling any guilt or pressure - simply tell them, "I'm sorry I just can't". It is amazing how many telemarketers or anyone asking you to do something you'd rather not do will hear that statement and not pursue it. Cracks me up every time I use it. Hugs and blessings, Linda